Sunday, November 15, 2009

Couple Tasty Dishes

Hi Girls, here are a couple tasty recipes from the Pampered Chef. Roger's schedule is crazy this week, so I'm not cooking too much. But here are a couple yummy recipes that I don't think I've posted. Enjoy!

Italian Chicken Pasta Toss
6 oz uncooked bow tie pasta (about 2 1/2 cups)
2 plum tomatoes
1 small onion
1 medium zucchini
1 small yellow or red bell pepper (I used orange because that's what I like)
8 oz boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 tsp olive oil
2 garlic cloves, pressed
1/2 cup frozen peas
1 tsp Italian Seasoning Mix (italian seasoning)
1 tsp salt
Grated fresh parmesan cheese (optional)

1. Cook pasta according to package directions; drain and keep warm.
2. Meanwhile, dice tomatoes and chop onion. Slice zucchini into 1/2 inch thick pieces (I also cut them in half, so they were half moon shaped). Cut bell peppers into thin strips, and chicken crosswise into 1/2 inch strips.
2. Heat oil in skillet over medium-high heat 1-3 minutes or until shimmering. Press garlic into skillet. Add chicken. Cook and stir 4-5 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Add onion, zucchini, bell pepper, peas, seasoning mix and salt. Cook 2 minutes. Add tomatoes and cook 1-2 minutes, stirring gently until heated through. Remove skillet from heat and stir in pasta. Serve with Parmesan cheese, if desired.

6 servings

Valerie: from what I calculated, the Italian Chicken Pasta Toss is 2 points per serving and my servings were a little more than a cup each. I guess it would vary slightly by how you measure and chop your vegtables.

Also, I thought it was a little heavy on the onion. I personally didn't like it diced up. I would probably next time do about half the onion in long slices, and maybe a red onion instead of white or yellow.
*****

Tamale Verde Skillet (Not as healthy, but very yummy!)
1 tsp vegetable oil
1 can (15.25 ounces) corn
1 medium onion
1 medium red bell pepper (I never add this because I'm not a huge fan of red peppers)
12 (6-inch) corn tortillas
4 ounces chorizo sausage
3 cups shredded cooked chicken
1 can (19 ounces) green enchilda sauce (I buy mild)
1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded monterey jack cheese
snipped fresh cilantro (optional)

1. Add oil to skillet; heat over medium-high heat 1-3 minutes or until shimmering. Meanwhile, drain corn; pat dry with paper towels. Add corn to skillet in a single layer. Cook without stirring 5 minutes or until caramelized on one side. Remove skillet from heat and remove corn to a separate bowl.
2. Meanwhile, dice onion and bell pepper; set aside 1/4 cup of the bell pepper for later use. Cut tortillas into 1-inch squares.Add chorizo sausage to skillet; cook over medium-high heat 3-4 minutes, breaking sausage into crumbles. Add onion and remaining bell pepper; cook an additional 3-5 minutes or until vegtables are tender crisp. Add half of the tortilla squares, chicken and enchilada sauce to skillet. Bring to a simmer; cook 2 minutes or until tortillas are softened and mixture is hot. Remove skillet from heat.
3. Top chicken mixture with remaining tortilla squares, cheese, corn and reserved bell pepper. Cover skillet; let stand 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. If desired, snip cilantro and sprinkle over top. Serve immediately. Yield 6 servings.

1 comment:

  1. Yum Nora! These do look tasty. Thanks for the WW friendly dish too! And, don't worry, I'll try the Tamale Verde Skillet too, will just use up some of my reserve. I can't resist good Mexican food :)

    ReplyDelete