Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Coconut Panko Chicken

Coconut Panko Chicken
2 lb boneless skinless chicken breast cut into strips
1 cup shredded coconut
1 cup panko bread crumbs
2 eggs
1 tbs butter
salt
pepper

I served this with brown rice, so before I got started on the chicken, I started the pot of brown rice.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Wash and cut chicken breast in to strips. Melt butter and let cool a bit. Mix eggs in a bowl & combine with buter. Mix coconut and panko in another bowl. Dip chicken into egg mixture and then coat with coconut/panko mixure. Place each strip onto pan (I line my pan with foil and spray with Pam). Cook for 25 minutes, flip chicken, and cook for 20-25 minutes more.

Sauce - well, I have no exact measurements because I always forget about it until the chicken is almost done. Initially, I wasn't sure if I liked the sauce, a little potent on it's own. However, it blended well with the sweetness of the chicken. I started with a few tablespoons of hoisin sauce then added low sodium soy sauce, about a fourth of a cup. Next I added about a 1/2 teaspoon of chopped garlic and then about 1/4 tsp of ground ginger. It needed a little sweetness so I added about a 1/2 tsp of brown sugar and stirred well. Usually I add orange zest and orange juice, but I was out.

I also like to serve this with sauteed bell peppers and onions. I love the frozen grilled bell peppers from HEB, I keep a bag in my freezer and can just pull out however much I need whenever I need them.

No comments:

Post a Comment