Saturday, October 24, 2009

Morris Family Menu Week of October 24th

So, over the past few weeks, I've been revamping my menus because I started Weight Watchers. It's time to knock off the last of this baby weight. I have done WW before, about this time after Carter was born. The points concept really works for me and I love the extensive recipe database that WW has. I am just doing the online program because they don't offer meetings out here :(, but the good news is it has forced me to explore the online program. I can enter my favorite recipes and it will automatically tally up the points. I can also find variations of my favorite meals that make it more waistline friendly.

I'll try not to bore you with lots of details, because if you aren't on WW, all of the points talk can be kind of a beating. But, let me just say that I drastically changed my usual order at Jason's Deli after I learned that it was worth 54 POINTS!!! Yes, the Plane Jane potato should be called the Pudgy Jane Potato, packing 2,000 calories. Ugh!


Ok, so here is this weeks menu (I know we usually start on Sun or Mon, but I was inspired, ok?) :)

Saturday: Southern Slow Cooker Chicken and Grits (this was really good and easy!)
Sunday: Grilled Chicken Breasts with Red Pepper Rissoto (Target/Archer Farms mix) and green beans.
Monday: Pot Roast (recipe below)
Tuesday: Green Chile Enchiladas (recipe below)
Wednesday: dinner @ church
Thursday: dinner in Austin
Friday: Mom's Christmas Chili and Cornbread
Saturday: Leftovers & Candy
Sunday: Beef patties, sweet potato fries (I love the Alexia's brand), oven roasted squash and garlic.

Pot Roast
I make mine in the crock pot filled 1 cup with beef or chicken broth and 1cup full of water. 1 chopped onion, 1 clove of garlic, and coat the top with Cooper's BBQ Seasoning. I usually throw in some carrots and potatoes about half way through. Cook on low for 8 hours.

Mom's Christmas Chili
We have this every year on Christmas Eve, hence my naming it Mom's Christmas Chili.

1 pound ground beef

¾ cup chopped onion

1 garlic glove, minced

2 tablespoons Mexene Chili Powder

1 tablespoon flour

1 teaspoon salt/2 teaspoon ground cumin

½ teaspoon sugar

1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce (I add at least twice that)

1 cup water

  • Brown together the ground beef, onion, and garlic
  • Drain excess fat.
  • Stir in remaining ingredients.
  • Mix well.
  • Cover and simmer 30 minutes.
  • Makes 4 servings (about 2/3 cup each)

I always double or triple this recipe adding tomato sauce, sometimes some diced tomatoes, and the last couple of years I’ve added a can of Rotel.

You can make this into a fun chili barr with a pot of pinto beans, bowls of onions, cheese, jalapenos, and Fritos to add.


Green Chile Enchiladas:

This is a recipe I intend to create and make for the first time, who knows what will actually happen. Here is what I plan to use.

Cookwell & Company Two Step Mix Green Chili Stew (my aunt found this for me at HEB)

Sour Cream

Monterrey Jack Cheese

Corn Tortillias

Cilantro

Sauteed Onions

I'm not sure yet if I'm going to make enchilada stacks or rolled enchiladas. I'm sure you all will be sitting on the edges of your seats ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment